If you would like to post a comment to an existing post:

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO POST A COMMENT:

1) Find Blog Archive in the right hand column. Click on a particular month and then find a topic you're interested in. Another option is to find "Labels" in the right hand column. (Ex: Homework) Click on the label you're interested in and you'll have choice of posts on that topic appear in the middle column of the Blog.
2) Go to the end of the post where you'll find the word "comments" (or No Comments) highlighted. Click on this.
3) You'll then see a space to "enter your comment." At the bottom of that "page" you'll find a pull down menu asking you to "Comment as." You can pick Name/URL. If you pick Name/URL, then insert your name (or initials) and ignore the URL space. You'll note that most of the comments are submitted by contributors using their initials. This is because almost all of the current contributors are students in a course I teach at Salve.

4) Then, in the next box, click "continue". Then, you should click on the "Publish" button.
5) I'd ask that you refrain from critiquing individuals, unless they are public figures such as Obama, Duncan or Gist. I reserve the right to delete posts which I feel are "over the top." I'd prefer this Blog to involve a "battle of ideas" rather than a bashing of individuals. Also, please feel free to post alternative views or offer amendments to my assertions and/or specifics. I am far from being an expert on these matters, so there should be lots of room for amendments. If you look thru the Blog, you will see that I have included articles on opposite sides of issues (Ex: pro and con on Common Core; pro and con on Portfolio, etc)

You will also notice that I encourage my students to critique my ideas, and to use a "devil's advocate" approach upon occasion.

5) IF YOU'D LIKE TO CONTRIBUTE AN ARTICLE (POST) ON A TOPIC OF YOUR CHOOSING INSTEAD, THEN EMAIL ME THE POST AND I'LL PUT IT ON THE BLOG. (JBuxton564@cox.net)




Thursday, March 10, 2016

How to grade reflections in Intro to Am.Ed.?

How to grade reflections in Intro to Am.Ed.? Should reflections even be part of Am. Ed.?

               Buxton’s “grading” of reflections is subjective and imprecise.  A “New Reflection         Rubric” was given to you in class on March 10th.  (Note:  this rubric is not meant to be taken seriously) This rubric is not subjective, and it is precise, but it has numerous problems.  Can you offer an alternative?  Do you have comments regarding this dilemma?  English teachers - how do you deal with the subjectivity in your assessments?  Math - Science - are you happy that your assessments are more "fact based"?

1 comment:

  1. I believe that reflections should not be a part of American Education. In my opinion, grading of assignments should try to stay away from arbitration as much as possible, leading to a fair playing field for all students. With reflections though, grading is very subjective and can be based on a multitude of factors. For example, on some days, students are allowed to choose their own topic for reflections. How can a professor possibly compare two essays that are written about completely different topics? In short, they can’t if they want to ensure grading equity. My proposition would be to get rid of the reflections, as I feel they do not add any value to the class as a whole, nor do I really gain a lot from writing them. When referring to the curriculum, to get a four, a reflection should be two full pages, using more than five quotes from the text, and the student must make three outside connections. I believe this system of grading is unfair, and causes students to complete a task far more advanced than it needs to be. If it is impossible to extricate reflections from the curriculum, I believe that the reflections should be graded based on completion, meaning whether or not it was completed. I.e. an on-time, fully completed reflection would get full credit. As a history teacher, I much prefer fact-based assessments than subjective-based because facts are either incorrect or correct; there is no room for speculation or opinion.
    AJ

    ReplyDelete